Tom is a Director of Companies and Consultant in the Financial Services Industry. He is a highly respected thought leader in banking and financial services. Tom was the financial services leader for PWC Africa and a member of the global financial services leadership team and governing body. Tom retired from PwC in 2016. He served as Chairman of SAICA Banking Project group for 8 years; appointed as the Curator for African Bank in 2014 and successfully re-launched the bank in 2016. In 2018 he was appointed as a non-executive Director of First Rand serving on various committees including the audit committee Risk Capital and Compliance committee.
Top Lessons learnt through leadership experience:
- Continue to learn – learning never stops.
- Have role models, mentors and coaches. Surround yourself with true professionals and those who are better than you in certain areas.
- Be honest with yourself – your strengths and weaknesses and development.
- People make mistakes – admit to them and take action.
- All people should be treated with respect and dignity.
- Remember that you are responsible for you own path – you choose the way.
- Have a strong set of values – values drive you.
- Working with a framework which you can refer to, will assist with keeping focus and direction.
- Know you vision and your goal and have milestones that you can celebrate along the way.
- Get out of your comfort zone – the uncomfortable is where you will grow.
- Have empathy.
- ENJOY what you do!
Enjoy the full interview here: